Hello Everyone

This is an open blog, feel free to post your own lyrics and how they make you feel, make comments, Share thoughts

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dead Flowers: The Rolling Stones


Recently I've been on a kick of lyrics about Love,lust and life, Which I guess becomes quite common in the heart breaking world of country music. But I got a band here that not only has an influence in down dirty honky tonk country music but also is considered one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. The Rolling Stones
Everyone who has ears has heard a song from the Rolling Stones. Formed in London in the early 60's, the Rolling Stones were influenced by many American R & B artist such as Bo Diddly and Muddy Waters. As the Rolling stones started developing their nitty gritty rock and roll sound, they became influenced by another form of traditional American music, country music.
In the sixties, music could be heard every where. Hippies were protesting the war, doing large amounts of acid and dancing in the street of San Francisco. Bands like The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones and The Band were at their prime. Free spirit ruled the young generations world. Much of this southern boot tapping country rubbed of on the Rolling Stones as they began to write not only some of the greatest rock and roll songs of all time but also some of the greatest country songs of all time also. Songs such as "Dear Doctor" and " Factory Girl" on Beggars Banquet. "Country Honk" on Let It Bleed, which is the original version of "Honkey Tonk Woman" but couldn't be released as a single so they re-recorded it. The song "Far Away Eyes" on the album Some Girls, about a man driving through Bakersfield, California listening to Gospel Music thinking about this Perfect girl with Far away eyes. But my favorite Not only country Rolling Stones song, but my favorite Rolling Stones song period would be "Dead Flowers" on there 1971 release of Sticky Fingers.
I first heard this song a few years ago while in high school. My band that consisted of My older Brother, the man I'll call Steve in the "Devil In Disguise" article and a friend named Jason were set to preform as "The Riverboat Barbarians" at our local Baskin Robbins for 31Cent Scoop Night.We had a set about two hours to fill. We already knew a few songs like "Layla" by Eric Clapton, "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" by The White Stripes, "What a Wonderful Man" by My Morning Jacket and "Sympathy For the Devil" by the Rolling Stones. But that wasn't enough to fill two hours so we needed more material. My friends Steve which has my one of my best, drunken and most influential friends suggested we play Dead Flowers. From the moment It hit my ears it was like sweet country extacy.

"You can send me dead flowers every morning, send me dead flowers by the mail, send me dead flowers to my wedding, and I won't forget to put roses on your grave"
This lyric will forever be embedded into my young, day dreaming rowdy mind. This song introduced me into the world of traditional country music and has forever changed my outlook on music. It made me want to be a country singer. As the song starts, Mick Jagger comes in with this pushed slurred hick voice singing about a girl and his own depressive state goes exactly with Keith Richards hard twangy licks to make a country music paradise.
This person singing this song is bleeding their heart out. It goes along with my "You Win Again" blog on Hank Williams. He's lost a girl and he's telling her know matter what happens in bot their lives, no matter how much she hates him, he will continue to love her unconditionally.She can send him dead flowers showing her non existence love for him and he'll no matter what put his red heart roses on her grave. The words of country music seem so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment